What is Transitional Housing?
Fleeing domestic violence takes strength and courage. Our transitional housing program meets the needs of individuals or families who have left their homes and need a place to stay while they process their experience, survey options and put together a plan for next steps.
The program offers support services to survivors using a client empowerment model, for anywhere from six months to two years. The goal of Transitional Housing at Stand Strong is to assist clients in attaining emotional health, the development of safe and healthy lifestyles for independent living, and economic self-sufficiency as they prepare to move into permanent housing.
We meet this goal by offering advocacy services, employment assistance, counseling, legal services, children’s services, life skill groups, and assistance with obtaining permanent housing. Our follow-up services are available to clients for a minimum of three months after they finish the program.
Who is eligible for Transitional Housing?
Stand Strong’s Transitional Housing Program requires a referral from one of our Stand Strong programs, such as counseling or our Safe House, or from one of our community project partners.
Determination of acceptance into Transitional Housing will be made on a case-by-case basis, based on the following minimum criteria and guidelines. Applicant must be:
- A survivor of intimate partner/domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and/or stalking.
- At least eighteen years old or a legally emancipated minor.
- Homeless or in need of transitional housing or other housing assistance as a result of fleeing an abusive situation and where emergency shelter services or other crisis intervention services are unavailable or insufficient.
- Referred from a Stand Strong program or from one our project partners.
- Low or very low income according to the current HUD guidelines.
- Willing and desiring to participate in our Transitional Housing Program, including meeting with staff on a weekly basis and signing a rental agreement/contract.
- Willing to create an individualized safety and self-sufficiency plan with the assistance of Transitional Housing staff.